Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Which brand best resembles the taste of American Copenhagen?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaun

Local time: 11:54 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Which brand best resembles the taste of American Copenhagen?

I am a long time user of the American brand Copenhagen. I have been making the switch to Swedish Snus, and I found a brand that was strong and similar to Copenhagen. It was called Strong Cut loose, however I just learned that it is no longer available. Does anyone know of a brand that might replace Copenhagen or strong cut for taste and strength?
lwood

Local time: 6:54 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:

try Skruf Stark, COPE gets most of its flavor from toasting and barrel aging, and I used Cope for quite a while, and Skruf Stark is strong like Cope though its flavor is long on tobacco, it does not have the burnt taste that Cope does.
mh34444

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

Skruf Stark is a good choice, but also try General Loose, it has a nice peppery taste to it. I chewed Cope Snuff for 10 years and its difficult to find a snus that compares to its taste and texture. I'm not saying one style is better than the other (I prefer snus since its easier on the gums), but the flavor is definelty different.
lofat

Local time: 3:54 PM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:

Same here, I miss the old cope flavor, but agree that snus is nice on the gums. snus in general just seems more refined and a higher quality product.

I'll have to give Skruf Stark a try next order

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I have tried many different kinds of snus. I have used cope as well. Snus is really different than US dip but Skruf Stark is at least as strong as cope and kind of delivers that burn that comes with cope. Taste wise it's a little like cope. Try Skruf Stark, if you keep in mind snus is no as bad for your health as cope you can learn to like Skruf Stark.
Shaun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for you reply's. I just recieved my first shipment of Skruf and it's not that bad excert a little sweet.
I had found the perfect replacement for Cope, it was called Strong Cut by Gallhager, but unfortunately thay stoped making it. i'm not sure why.
kb3edk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Shaun, I've ordered Gallaher Strong Cut off buysnus.com as recently as two weeks ago. However it is portion packed and not loose. http://www.buysnus.com/Details.aspx?ItemNumber=73

The taste is top notch and the packaging is some of the best I've seen for any brand of snus. This is a snus to give to our Copenhagen chewing friends in the USA to show them how great Swedish tobacco tastes! I gave some to my brother in law who is normally a cigar smoker and he loved it.
Shaun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

I emailed Gallager about the Strong Cut, and unfortunately they no longer carry the loose snus.
I can only do the loose snus, I think because I have used copenhagen for 23 years, my body is used to a high nicotien content.
It was good stuff though, and so far the only thing that would keep my mind off copenhagen.
tbonehawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: burnt = toasted?

From what I've read, Lucky Strike has a 'toasted' taste. Whether it compares to a burnt tase, I can't tell you, but it might be worth a try. I'm not sure if it comes in loose form, though. Best of luck!
soneil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

in regards to lucky strike taste. started smoking 40+yrs ago with lucky cigs. now at 54 cigs are out(health reasons), started snusing about a year ago. enjoy it. lucky reminds me of lucky cigs. no burnt taste, smooth toasty taste. portion only due to dentures. excellent product. even my doctor agrees, snus is preferred over cigs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: General it is!

Thanks for the recommendation. I just recieved a sample of General in the mail, and I have found a replacement for copenhagen. Now i just have to finish the skruf before i can order a whole roll.