Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Do I need to freeze snus?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blizzardbeast

Local time: 11:33 PM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Do I need to freeze snus?

As someone who recently recieved his first of many orders of snus, do I need to freeze it in order to keep it fresh? This is necessary with American snuff, or else it drys out(as I'm sure anyone who has used it would know).
carotevi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject:

I have tried it both ways. I am not saying this is the definitive answer but this is how I handle snus..... If the quantity I have on hand is more than I will use within aprox 3-4 weeks I freeze the snus that i wont be using within a couple of weeks. Then when I need to use some of the frozen snus I take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerater about a day in advance, then take it out of the refrigerator when needed.

I live in a hot part of the states. So in the summer it get very hot and I find shipping in the real hot weather hurts the snus. So right before it gets hot weather I buy enough snus to last about two and a half months. I freeze all of that and take a can or so out at a time.

One hint about freezing that i have found is to make sure when you freeze it you wrap it in freezer wrap real well. I use that clingy wrap, wrap roll the roll in it several times and tight. Then when I need a can I take a knife and slice it off and put the rest back in the freezer. One other thing, make sure the freezer temp is very cold (deep freeze) so it freezes fast.
Craig de Tering

Local time: 1:33 AM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject:

I freeze all my snus. According to what I've read you can keep it frozen for more than a year without losing quality. I use a simple zip-lok bag for cardboard/paper cans (usually Swedish Match brands)

I don't bother using bags if the cans are plastic since condensation won't affect those.
Works 100% even though I don't have a deep freezer. Mine only goes to -12 C = 10.4F
Also, since snus contains salt it never really freezes rock-solid. In a pinch I can just pop a can out of the freezer and roll me a pris.

Some brands even have a vacuum freshness seal like Rocker and Lucky Strike. They claim those don't even need refrigeration but I like to keep 'm cold anyway.
Petersven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

Until today when my fresh Grovsnus and Kardus arrived I had been reduced to using portion snus which had been sitting in my freezer for a very long time. How long you ask? Well the best before date was October 2004.

The cans were just sitting loose in the freezer and once I tatsed them they were quite good. I think they did loose a little flavour but thats about it. I survived 5 days on them.
sockwars

Local time: 1:33 AM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

Hmmm, will try that when I start buying online from Finland. Haha, I suppose I could just leave them outside Razz

snusfreak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

I´m not agree to keep the Snus in the freezer for a half a year.
For me the snus loose the taste and the freshness.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I've made the experience that storing Snus in the freezer keeps it fresher for a much longer time than in the fridge. So whenever I order more than I shall consume in the next 2-3 weeks, i keep it frozen.
carotevi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject:

snusfreak wrote:
I´m not agree to keep the Snus in the freezer for a half a year.
For me the snus loose the taste and the freshness.

I have noticed that some brands do not keep well under very cold or hot temperatures. For example, catch eucalyptus large portions spoil under the extreme heat and their taste changes greatly after a freeze. General large portions hold up fair under the heat and fair in the very cold very well.

More or less the "original" brands deal with heat and freeze better than the flavored brands. The cheaper brands that I have tried do not hold up under the heat or cold. The "dry" snus brands tend to deal with the heat and freezing better than large portions do.

It seems that the higher the heat or the longer the snus is in the heat influence it's shelf life. So a short exposure to high heat might just shorten it's shelf life a little but not effect it's taste. A very long exposure to high heat would just "kill" the snus all together.

I sure wish Snus was available for me local because it sure would make using snus a lot easier Wink
Toren

Local time: 3:33 PM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject:

I freeze my snus as well, and I have a tiny "electric" fridge I use in my office to keep the snus I have open nice and cold. I also keep an open container of water in there so the humidity is high.
When I freeze my snus, I use a FoodSaver vacuum packing system and package the tins one by one. I think that by keeping the tins sealed and air-free, I'm quite sure a year of frozen storage will be fine, for sure. Probably longer!
tbonehawk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:

Now that it's cold here in Iowa, I keep my open snus cans on the windowsill between the double (storm) windows I have - it's plenty cold there. Plus, it's humid enough here, it doesn't dry out.

TBone