Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Romeo y Julieta Romeo #2 portion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toren

Local time: 3:52 PM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Romeo y Julieta Romeo #2 portion

Being a fan of "tobacco taste" snus (Kardus is my favorite snus of all time), I was intrigued when I saw the ad for this snus. It sounded like something I might enjoy: after all, if you are going to use the name of a famous Cuban cigar and use rare and expensive Cuban tobaccos, surely you are aiming for a market that likes tobacco flavor. While there is a market for flavored cigars, it is minor, and certainly anyone with the desire and $$$ to smoke Cuban cigars is obviously a lover of pure tobacco. I thought it would be very interesting to taste a snus made with cigar tobacco, which is quite different from the usual types of tobaccos used for snus.
So imagine my surprise when I opened the tin to smell a strong odour of anise! (The tin is lovely, by the way--it has a pleasant-feeling rubberized coating and the top fits snugly.)
I selected a portion and gave it a try. To my relief, the anise topping is not a strong in the mouth as on the nose, and of a very high quality, without the bitterness of the cheaper anise or licorice flavorings. And some of the tobacco taste did come through, although I was hard-pressed to identify a "cigar-like" note at all.
But in the end, why pay such a high price for tobaccos that are hidden beneath a topping? If I want an anise flavored snus, I might as well pick up a can of Rocker and save 50%.
As with Diplomat, I'm not sure who they are trying to get as a consumer. If you are going to use unusually high quality tobaccos, why not just let the tobacco flavor speak for itself, like Kardus?
All in all, I thought Romeo y Julieta Romeo #2 portion was a fine, high quality product that missed its mark. I see no need to purchase it again.