Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Snus = Cancer ??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sockwars

Local time: 12:59 AM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Snus = Cancer ??

I just found this article from December 2005

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Snus causes cancer" - health institute

Published: 5th December 2005 15:13 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/2622/

Swedish snus causes cancer and increases the risk of death from heart disease, according to the National Institute of Public Health.

The warning, which will concern many Swedes who have turned to snus as a healthier nicotine alternative to smoking, is based on the institute's analysis of epidemiological and experimental studies carried out by the Karolinska Institute in recent years.

Certain studies indicate that snus can also increase the risk of high blood pressure and diabetes, and that children could be born prematurely if mothers use snus during pregnancy. However, the Institute of Public Health said in its report that there is not yet enough evidence to be certain of the effect on births.

The institute said that its analysis showed that using snus increased the risk of cancer of the pancreas and of the mouth. But there are no research results suggesting that it causes other forms of cancer.

And while there is no evidence to suggest that using snus actually increases the risk of developing heart disease, it is clear that it does increase the risk of death for a person affected, for example, by a heart attack.

The details of how much snus is dangerous are not yet known, said Göran Pershagen, professor at the Institute of Environmental Medicine at Karolinska.

"There's not enough evidence to say how much the risk increases. But it is clear that snus is not unhazardous - pancreatic cancer is a relatively common form of cancer with a very poor survival rate," he said.

"This is also about preventing cancer."

Despite the fact that the study did not show that using snus increases the risk of other forms of cancer, it is still too early to rule it out, reckons Pershagen.

Sweden's biggest producer of snus, Swedish Match, dismissed the report as irresponsible and self-serving.

"The institute has published a number of alarmist reports on snus over the years," said Ulf Svensson, the information director at the company.

"But we remember that they had to give up on the discussions around snus and health warning text. The EU investigated the research and concluded that there is no increased risk of cancer from snus," Svensson told TT.

He pointed to an international cancer study which, he said, contradicted the conclusion that using snus can lead to pancreatic cancer.

"Despite the fact that we have around a million 'snussers' in Sweden, we are almost at the bottom of the table in the western world when it comes to this form of cancer," he said.

Ulf Svensson said that far from being a thorough scientific analysis, the report was a political move against Swedish Match and was based on a very selective interpretation of research results.

- - - - - - - - - -

From The Local, a Sweidh new site (thelocal.se)

blizzardbeast

Local time: 10:59 PM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:

These kind of things are being reported all the time. While I don't know how true they are, I do know that there are plenty of people who get cancer, and have never tried tobacco in their life. There are also people who use tobacco all their lives, and never get any form of cancer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are going to get cancer, you will regardless of whether you use snus or not. This is only an opinion, and not meant to be rude in any way.
sockwars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

My wife has the same opinion - you are either going to get cancer or you're not, there's very little that will decide one way or the other.

I suppose it's a gamble to use snus, tobacco has been known to cause horrible cancers, but to be optimistic, the ratio of users to cancer patients is going to be small.

lwood

Local time: 5:59 PM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject:

A forty-year-old man went to see his doctor for a check up. The man was consumed with living to be 110 years old. So when the man’s doctor came into the examination room the man asked him, “Doctor, what do you think my chances are to live to be 110 years old?”

His doctor looks at him and says, “Well let me ask you some questions, and I will try to answer your question.”
“First, do you or have you ever used illegal drugs?”
“Never Doctor, drugs are dangerous and could encourage other unhealthy behavior” the man told his Doctor.

“Alright, do you drink alcohol at all, like a good wine or a fine cognac?”
the man said,” oh no, doctor, alcohol can cause cirrhosis of the liver and ruin your health.”

“Ok”, the doctor said, “well do you use any tobacco products, like fine cigars, or a smooth snus?”
“Never”, said the man, “you know doctor that all tobacco is, is a ticket to an early grave.”

“Well, I see her on your chart that you are single, so have you, or do you have sex with many partners?”
“No, doctor, there are just too many diseases out there to even contemplate sex with even one partner let alone many, I am an avowed bachelor and I will never involve myself with sexual relationships, nor have I ever”, said the man.

The doctor looks at his patient with frank astonishment on his face and says to him, “You don’t do drugs, you don’t drink, you won’t use any tobacco products, and you refuse to have sex with any one, I am sure you have a very good chance of living to be 110 years old, but why the Hell you would want to, is beyond me.”
Laughing
sockwars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Laughing Rolling Eyes

blizzardbeast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject:

Laughing

Anyway, I've also seen studies where they say the use of smokeless tobacco has no additional risk of any cancers, it is only smoking that increases risk.
phetish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject:

I tend to agree with the joke above - the little things we enjoy are important.

does snus cause cancer? i don't know. I would say that if you have cancer in your family history, then maybe there is a risk.

otherwise... enjoy it in moderation. personally, i'm more likely to end up with mad cow or diabetes - i LOVE rare red meat, and Mountain Dew. Smile

bring on the mad cow!

derek
bought but untasted: Mocca Mint, Catch Dry Licorice/Cassis Menthol, Metropol Lakritsrot, Revel
CeilingCrash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I was originally drawn to snus because of its relative safety, I did a bit of reading and this is what I found :

Tobacco is not inherently cancer-causing, as is true for most things which occur naturally. It is when natural compounds are concentrated or chemically altered that they become unfamiliar to our bodies; we have not evolved to encounter them and cancer sometimes results.

Specifically, tobacco becomes carcinogenic when it is heated to over 200 deg F. At this point the long molecules start to break down into what are called nitrosamines. This occurs with both smoking and American style dip (which is fire cured at high temperatures.)

Snus is also heat-treated to preserve it, but at a lower temperature, it is pastuerized or 'sweated' to use the swedish terminology. Swedish snus is under strict quality control according to the Gothiatek standard which monitors the level of nitrosamines to keep them at trace levels compared to other tobacco products.

These trace levels have given rise to no increase in cancer among the 1 million Swedes who use snus. This fact resulted in the withdrawal of the "causes cancer" warning label on snus.

As for the cardiac risk of nicotine, there appears to be some risk of heart attack while the person has the snus in his mouth. Nicotine is a stimulant which raises the heart rate. However, it was always assumed that the nicotine also led to heart disease over time. This has recently been shown to be false, both by studying the swedish population and the users of nicotine gum and lozenges. It appears the risk of heart disease seen among smokers is a result of inhaling the smoke - especially the carbon monoxide - and not the nicotine.

Every indication is that snus is as safe as coffee. The terrible irony in this is that the EU has banned the only tobacco product which appears to be safe.

The situation is a bit remiscent of the way coca leaves are used by natives in the Andes mountains. When the leaves are processed such that the cocaine is isolated into a salt or 'freebased' into smoke, it becomes very dangerous stuff with all sorts of risks. The natives never did this - they simply take a coca leaf, often wrapped in lemon to balance the Ph (the Ph in snus is similarly adjusted) and pop it into their mouth.

They have done this for many centuries and no harm has resulted; in fact chewing coca leaves is comparable to drinking coffee; it gives energy, suppresses appetite, and is still the best treatment for altitude sickness in the mountains. It is such an important part of the culture that despite the 'drug war', the goverment takes pains to ensure people can still grow and buy coca leaves to chew.

It would seem nature provided us things like tobacco to enjoy in their natural state. It's when we alter them that trouble results.

Happy snusing!
StarWing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Tobacco Harm Reduction

CeilingCrash wrote:
I was originally drawn to snus because of its relative safety, ... the EU has banned the only tobacco product which appears to be safe to use.

Great Stuff!

In short, Snus is approx. 98% LESS hazardous than Smoking - As for smoking, it is not the nicotine or tobacco that is killing people, but the 3000+ products in the smoke (due to the combustion).

I too, did a major study on Snus before I bought any - I was seeking ways to combat the smoking I had been doing for over 30 years.

The two primary resources for info about Smoking VS Smokeless (re: "tobacco harm reduction") are:

http://www.smokersonly.org/
and
http://tobaccoharmreduction.org/

The "For Smoker's Only" website (referenced above) is by Dr. Brad Rodu, which if you do a Google Search for, you will see a lot on this topic.

BTW, It's been over 4 months now since I smoked at all, thanks to Snus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

blizzardbeast wrote:
Laughing

Anyway, I've also seen studies where they say the use of smokeless tobacco has no additional risk of any cancers, it is only smoking that increases risk.

I've done the same for a few weeks over this past summer, and have noticed the same thing. Dr. Brad Rodu states that nicotine is a safe a caffeine, which is consumed by millions on a daily basis.