Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

What is your Snus habit?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

Local time: 11:44 PM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: What is your Snus habit?

This is my first post here so I'll give a bit of history. I'm a UK citizen who has had a severe smoking habit for many years. I believe I am very inclined towards addictions generally. I attempted to stop smoking with the help of my doctor who prescribed nicotine replacement chewing gum. I found this totally inadequate and in desperation searched the internet for alternatives. This threw up Snus. To date I've made three 25 can orders to buysnus and as a result have successfully stopped smoking. Horray Very Happy

I have no contact with anyone else who uses Snus apart from now, members on this forum so my experiments have been without influence. I am interested in how others use Snus.

I tried both loose and portioned Snus. Loose for me was rather untidy and difficult to manage. I therefore have stayed with portions. How do people use this? My habit is to have it on the go all the time. I put a portion in and leave it in place for 1.5 to 2 hours. I then remove and refresh with a new portion. I do that throughout the whole day. It's easy to do, others don't know what I'm doing and it keeps the demands for nicotine at bay. Sometimes I even sleep at night with a portion in place which I remove when I get up in the morning. To be honest there tends to be very little time in a 24hr day when I'm not sucking on Snus.

When I insert a portion under my lip, I first roll it on my tongue to allow some saliva to be absorbed to make it more moist and then tuck it with my tongue up under my lip. I alternate between the left and right side of my upper lip so the mouth lining never gets sore. All the juices from the portion I swallow without bad effect.

In terms of satisfaction, Snus used this way has never given me a buzz like a cigarette did (or has on the one occassion I smoked since May this year). It has simply kept me feeling straight. I think that is similar to a Heroin addict who over the passage of time just has to take Heroin to stay constant and normal.

What do others think on this? What do you think about the way I use Snus? Please be honest with me. As said, I have no other users to relate to. Any opinion will be very much valued.

Best wishes,

Greg
jonnyx

Local time: 6:44 PM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:

Congrats on kicking the smoking habit, Greg!

And congrats on picking up another bad habit to replace the one you lost! Laughing

I have only started using Snus recently - I had decided to give up smoking once and for all and picked up a tin of American snuff, in portion packs. After a while I realized there was no way I was going to be able to feed my nicotine habit throughout the day if I had to constantly spit and generally look digusting. So I bought some Snus, but I too have the problem of lacking that good ol' cigarette buzz. Only after leaving it in for a long, long time does it start to kick in.

I just tried your technique - pre-moistening and switching sides and it does help to aid the flow of precious mother nicotine. Thanks for sharing.

I have yet to have any problems swallowing the Snus juice. Granted, it's not the best-tasting stuff, but it sure beats having to spit into a cup constantly.

As far as why I decided to quit smoking, it came after going into teaching - the one job that will kill a smoker. Snus helps me get my fix throughout the day, as it is discreet and clean. Plus, it doesn't impede me from being able to talk all day. Students and fellow faculty are none the wiser! This is the one time I have quit smoking - and there have been many - and I actually feel like I'm gonna be able to go to the distance. Though I have never been a heavy smoker, it was something that I had ingrained into my routine during college, and moving into the working world had become quite the obstacle. Snus has really been a big help.

Not to mention the joy of no longer having clothes or a car that smell like smoke!
Craig de Tering

Local time: 1:44 AM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

If it's the so-called 'buzz' y'all are after then you'd be better off trying loose.
Although I wouldn't use loose while out and about as I don't want people asking me is I just ate black cake or coffee grits.

As for rolling a pris of loose snus; a while ago i made some pics of me rolling one and put them on Flickr--> http://www.flickr.com/photos/67941317@N00/124995651/
lofat

Local time: 3:44 PM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject:

I snus pretty much all day every day. I like to start the day with a nice blast of loose Ettan or Goteborgs Rape', have coffee or tea, shower and walk the dog. Usually before I head off to work, I lose the loose and grab my can of portions that I'll take for the day - usually Ettan or Goteborgs Rape' white portions. I'll drop a portion on the way to the jobsite and usually leave it in till lunch. After lunch I'll pop in another one and keep it for about 2 hours before taking it out. I'll wait a little bit before dropping another. When I get home from work I put my portions back in the fridge and grab a can of Probe Whiskey loose and hit that up followed by a trip to the bar to whip up a highball. Wink. For the rest of the night I will use loose.

Weekends I usually continue loose at home and portions on the go.

I used to be a smoker for a lot of years, went to domestic dip for a while... started with Skoal moved on to Cope, and then discovered Snus. Glad I did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

Well, I used American smokeless for alot of years before trying snus, so my habits are different. I'll wake up, eat and roll a pinch of loose, and keep that in for a couple of hours, then about an hour later, roll another and keep it in until lunch. Then I take it out, eat, then about an hour later, roll another pinch until dinner, then after dinner, roll my last one of the day, which stays in until near bedtime. Also, since my job doesn't care if I use tobacco in any form, and I've used American smokeless for about 15 years, I never have tried the portions or have any plans to try it in the near future. I feel this is the best way for me to use and enjoy my snus.
sockwars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject:

Well I don't have a snus routine like you guys do. I just carry my pot(s) around with me (normally in my wife's bag Razz) and pop one in whenever I fancy it. Using portion, this is easy to do wherever I am, quick to pop in and remove. I ususally use snus when I'm out places, especially with friends when I can relax and have a good time. I find it hard to concentrate sometimes when I use snus while working...

Michi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

blizzardbeast wrote:
Well, I used American smokeless for alot of years before trying snus, so my habits are different. I'll wake up, eat and roll a pinch of loose, and keep that in for a couple of hours, then about an hour later, roll another and keep it in until lunch. Then I take it out, eat, then about an hour later, roll another pinch until dinner, then after dinner, roll my last one of the day, which stays in until near bedtime. Also, since my job doesn't care if I use tobacco in any form, and I've used American smokeless for about 15 years, I never have tried the portions or have any plans to try it in the near future. I feel this is the best way for me to use and enjoy my snus.

just like me. first thing I do after getting up is taking a pinch. I keep it for about half an hour, then I'm really awake. then breaktfast, the next pinch and so on and so on .....
May Pen Ray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

...sleeping with snus
Try that with the loose, you may never wake up
phetish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject:

my habit: one or two portions in the evening while watching TV - not much compared to some folks out there Smile

I did fall asleep watching TV the other night while using a pouch, but i didn't really have any problems.

derek
bought but untasted: Mocca Mint, Catch Dry Licorice/Cassis Menthol, Metropol Lakritsrot, Revel
moisty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:

YAY!! Another uk'er!! Smile

I personally use the loose snus, mostly general and kardus. After little practice, and using an icetool to form the 'pris' I found I much preferred it to the pouch, it runs FAR less and the flavour is SO much better. I also found it was more comfortable on my gums too, not having teabag rub against them all the time! To me its the difference between instant coffee and fresh roast!

I would highly recommend getting a can of general or ettan loose and a prismaster (a much cheaper plastic version of the metal icetool...only about a quid!) on your next order and give it a proper go....its well worth it.
The trick to success is to not mess with the pris: get it in in one piece and leave it alone, its horrible to have loose snus bits all round your mouth but having a well formed pris in your lip is heavenly!! Wink

Oh, and I also used it to help give up smoking, nicotine gum tastes foul (understatement) and the environment I work in makes patches slide off within an hour!! Snus was the perfect alternative for me, and I found I much preferred it to smoking!
Belisarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:

lofat wrote:
I snus pretty much all day every day. I like to start the day with a nice blast of loose Ettan or Goteborgs Rape', have coffee or tea, shower and walk the dog. Usually before I head off to work, I lose the loose and grab my can of portions that I'll take for the day - usually Ettan or Goteborgs Rape' white portions. I'll drop a portion on the way to the jobsite and usually leave it in till lunch. After lunch I'll pop in another one and keep it for about 2 hours before taking it out. I'll wait a little bit before dropping another. When I get home from work I put my portions back in the fridge and grab a can of Probe Whiskey loose and hit that up followed by a trip to the bar to whip up a highball. Wink. For the rest of the night I will use loose.

Weekends I usually continue loose at home and portions on the go.

I used to be a smoker for a lot of years, went to domestic dip for a while... started with Skoal moved on to Cope, and then discovered Snus. Glad I did.

Off topic but digging your tunes on stillstream Cool
Craig de Tering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:

May Pen Ray wrote:
...sleeping with snus
Try that with the loose, you may never wake up

I've done that (I went knock-out after a booze binge with General lös in my mouth).
I woke up with my lips all crusted in dried black spit. (no joke)
Except for that, nothing else happened. Wink

Strangely enough, portions make me wake up because of the acrid spit collecting in my throat.