Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Snus and the EU

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Miscellaneous about Snus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
May Pen Ray

Local time: 9:36 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Snus and the EU

I cant see why shops are not allowed to sell snus traditionally in the EU - meaning through the counter. This must be against the four fundamentals the EU is founded on
Free float of goods, people and free competition etc...

Why is it so?
sockwars

Local time: 11:36 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:

The EU banned smokeless tabacco in all countries bar Sweden.

"The EU adopted a directive as early as in 1992 prohibiting the sale of tobacco for oral use not intended to be smoked or chewed, which included the Swedish snus but not, for example, chewing tobacco or nasal snus." Source

"The European Union banned most smokeless tobacco, including snus, in 1992, saying it could appeal to people too young to be sold tobacco and posed a risk to health. Sweden obtained an exemption to the ban when it joined the EU in 1995. Some other countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, ban oral tobacco while others, such as the US, Norway and India permit it." Source

There have been pushes to lift the ban, particularly by the Swedish government, but to no avail. Snus is a large topic in the EU.

Shops can't sell it because it's illegal.

sockwars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

"Tobacco for oral use
Member States shall prohibit the placing on the market of tobacco for oral use without prejudice to Article 151 of the Act of Accession of Austria, Finland and Sweden, which stipulates that the placing on the market in Sweden of tobacco for oral use may continue."

EU - http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/cha/c11567.htm

May Pen Ray

Local time: 9:36 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

but this is discrimination - with traditional tobacco being allowed....
- anyway i suppose the main manufactures are doing their lobbying and now their homework
sockwars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I suppose they banned it because of health issues, but research has shown that it is up to 90% healthier than smoking, and there have been no firm links made between snus and cancer.

I guess they are scared or apprehensive of a different form of tobacco that little is known about?

It doesn't make sense as smoking is much more dangerous for the user and affects more of the body than snus ever could.

Craig de Tering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Big tobacco corporations lobbying (throwing money and biased reports) in the EU. Assholes.
I think they're scared shitless that they'll lose the european market to smokeless tobacco.
sockwars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject:

... and how they would... look how popular it has become in Sweden. It would be popular in every country that has the smoking ban in place.