Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Snus vs. American

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Miscellaneous about Snus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blizzardbeast

Local time: 10:52 PM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Snus vs. American

This is for all who have tried or used American smokeless. I've noticed that snus has a longer lasting flavor, and stays formed in your mouth longer. Anybody else have any comments on this.
May Pen Ray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

I have never tried the American (coal? etc) but have been snusing for 15+ years. Can you please inform more about the taste, feeling, consistens, effect etc?
Thanks
lwood

Local time: 5:52 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

The key to most American branded smokeless tobacco is freshness, Copenhagen for example, has a shelf life of less than a week, the cans have a date of manufacture on the bottom and this is the first thing you should check prior to purchasing the product.

American moist snuffs come in three cuts, a coarse grind, a long cut and a few examples of a chopped cut. The most common is the coarse ground variety, it looks a lot like Kardus but its texture is much harder. The long cut is made up of short strands of tobacco leaf and it too is much harder than snus. The chopped cut found mainly in the Hawkins brand and its texture is actually closer to snus than any other type of American moist snuff that is sold loose.

American moist snuff does not have as many flavors available as Swedish Snus does; the two most common flavors are natural such as Copenhagen and wintergreen as found in Skoal. Copenhagen does offer “Black” which is flavored with Bourbon Whiskey and Skoal offers mint, peach, vanilla and berry flavors.

American moist snuff is used mainly in a loose form, while there are “portions” available they are not wildly popular. The main reason for this is that since American moist snuff is held in the lower lip, a “dip” can be of Herculean proportions, and for the average “dipper” a can of snuff can be used in three “dips”. The public does not generally know the amount of nicotine in American Moist snuff, but tests that measure nicotine uptake show that Copenhagen is near the top as a nicotine delivery system.

Another factor with American Moist snuff is that the juice is usually spat out, rather than swallowed. Becoming violently ill is a right of passage for an inexperienced snuff user in the US. It came as quite a shock to me when I first understood that snus-ers usually do not spit.
blizzardbeast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject:

lwood wrote:
The key to most American branded smokeless tobacco is freshness, Copenhagen for example, has a shelf life of less than a week, the cans have a date of manufacture on the bottom and this is the first thing you should check prior to purchasing the product.

American moist snuffs come in three cuts, a coarse grind, a long cut and a few examples of a chopped cut. The most common is the coarse ground variety, it looks a lot like Kardus but its texture is much harder. The long cut is made up of short strands of tobacco leaf and it too is much harder than snus. The chopped cut found mainly in the Hawkins brand and its texture is actually closer to snus than any other type of American moist snuff that is sold loose.

American moist snuff does not have as many flavors available as Swedish Snus does; the two most common flavors are natural such as Copenhagen and wintergreen as found in Skoal. Copenhagen does offer “Black” which is flavored with Bourbon Whiskey and Skoal offers mint, peach, vanilla and berry flavors.

American moist snuff is used mainly in a loose form, while there are “portions” available they are not wildly popular. The main reason for this is that since American moist snuff is held in the lower lip, a “dip” can be of Herculean proportions, and for the average “dipper” a can of snuff can be used in three “dips”. The public does not generally know the amount of nicotine in American Moist snuff, but tests that measure nicotine uptake show that Copenhagen is near the top as a nicotine delivery system.

Another factor with American Moist snuff is that the juice is usually spat out, rather than swallowed. Becoming violently ill is a right of passage for an inexperienced snuff user in the US. It came as quite a shock to me when I first understood that snus-ers usually do not spit.

Awesome explanation. Yeah, the fact you don't have to spit was quite weird for me as well, but I like it. Another thing is that American is alot drier than snus. Not totally dry, but it doesn't clump up like a can of loose snus does. Nor can you roll it around in your fingers like a loose snus, so getting a "dip" can be quite difficult for a beginner. Overall, I would say if you are in America sometime, pick up a can for something different, but you are not really missing much, as snus is alot better than American.
carotevi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I live in the southern us and snuff is very common. I think most boys try it out when they are 12-16 years old. I am almost 50 years old. My granddad chew "bloodhound chewing tobacco" whose motto was "A Dog-Gone Good Chew" but I never agreed with that statement. It looked like a block of chocolate candy. All us grand kids always wanted a "bite" of graddaddies "candy bar". His policy was the grand kids only got one bite and believe me after you got done throwing up 2-3 times and your mother whipped you you never wanted a second bite.

The most common snuff for kids to start out with here is skoal http://www.ussmokeless.com/content.cfm?id=49. There are several flavors but wintergreen is the most commonly used around here. Then there are endless brands of skoal copies and hawken is one example.

When you become a "real man" you start using Copenhagen http://www.ussmokeless.com/content.cfm?id=48. Copenhagen ain't for little boys and the truth is it ain't for big men either. It's for people who are addicted to nicotine really bad or those who want to be Wink

Seriously, I do not like American snuff but I will get a can every now and then. The only kind I will buy is Copenhagen.

There is no Snus that I have tried yet that is like American Snuff. For anyone from Sweden consider that a compliment. For those who have never tried American Snuff take it from someone who can go two minutes down the road and have all the snuff I want, you have not missed anything..... except maybe a headache, puking and maybe mouth cancer and if you're still young a whipping from your mother Wink
tbonehawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: American dip vs. snus

I, like many other young people, tried 'dip' when I was in university because my buddies had painting jobs and smoking doesn't mix with oil-based paints. Ergo, they dipped. I put in a huge whack of my buddy's Skoal in my lower lip. Next thing I knew, my head was swimming. Talk about a buzz! I wasn't a smoker then so the nicotine was incredible. The tobacco started shifting, and I suppose I swallowed some. I stood up, the room shifted, and I went straight to the toilet to vomit.
Years later, I was studying in Spain - actually it was during the 94 World Cup - I hung out with a lot of Europeans and our common language was Spanish. I noticed one of the Swedes had a strange lump in his upper lip. I asked about it and he showed me his can of snus. At first, I said "No thanks. I had a bad experience with that stuff." He asked if I had meant with the American snuff, and I said yes. He said snus was different. He rolled me a prilla, and I tried it. It wasn't bad, but I was really drunk so I couldn't appreciate it.
Years after that, I got the urge to try the American dip again with the same buddies who had let me try it before (from the vomit night). This time, I put in my upper lip. I still had to spit, but that's how I could do it and not end up swallowing a ton of it. I've done that off and on occasionally for years when I was around them, but never bought it.
Fast forward to five months ago, when I quit smoking. I was playing disc golf to get my mind off it, but at times I just felt like screaming - my guess is nicotine withdrawals, not crappy disc golf play. Then dip occured to me, so I started buying it. I was using Timber Wolf long cut because I had heard it was like Kodiak (my preferred form of nicotine shotgun), but cheaper. I had been using it a couple of months, when I remembered my Swedish buddy and his snus. After a bit of online research, I found net and had some snus sent to me. Talk about a difference! I enjoy the subtler, yet richer flavors with a softer consistency. When you add to that the dramatically lower nitrosamine content, you can't beat it! Plus, I don't turn into a freak when experiencing withdrawals...
I found out through further research online that Copenhagen has some of the highest levels (U Mass study from 1995, I think) of nitrosamines, and Timber Wolf (coincidentally owned by a Swedish company...hmmm...)had the lowest levels. Even still, snus had less than a third of the nitrosamine levels of Timber Wolf. I am now a convert to snus, even though US smokeless had a customer appreciation day at a convenience store near me and gave me a free can of Skoal Bandits (portion smokeless). I have one of those bags in now, and it's not bad, but the overdone flavor is a bit much after over a month of snus use. I asked the guy about their spitless products, and he told me he had tried it (in between spits into a plastic coke bottle) and liked it. I guess it's called Revel/Skoal Dry, and you can order it online. I think I'll pass on that, but it's interesting that Swedish-stlye seems to be slowly spreading through the US.
Well, I guess that's enough. I'm a snus convert, and plan to introduce it to my buddies back in Las Vegas when I go home for Thanksgiving.

TBone
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Nice post, TBone Very Happy