Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Montecristo Portion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwood

Local time: 6:52 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Montecristo Portion

I had to try this snus for no other reason than its name and heritage, as it says on the can; Tobacco from Cuba, Water from Norway, made in Sweden. The packaging is first rate, with the triangle of rapiers and the double fleur de lise; it is instantly recognizable to cigar aficionados, as forbidden fruit if you happen to be an American, or as a maker of a fine Cigar for anyone else.

I must say that the bouquet of the snus upon first opening came across as very chemical smelling, and it caused me some trepidation at first. When I smelled it again, I picked out a rich tobacco scent, as a maduro cigar with citrus and even cedar, the first time must have due to olfactory overload. The flavor is quite like that of a cigar held in the mouth after a sip of chardonnay, different but it grows on you fast.

This is a great “special occasion” snus, I received some curious looks last week when I flashed the can at the craps tables in Las Vegas, but then perhaps it would have been better suited to the Baccarat tables instead, along with a dry martini, shaken, not stirred.

Overall, I have to say that Montecristo portion is well worth a try.
tobebryant

Local time: 11:52 PM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: nice

Hey man, sounds nice,

the only problem, I am a year in Canada, where can I get it from? Could you perhaps send me one pack? would be awesome, just write me a email if you are interested in selling me some.. tobe_bryant@yahoo.de

Thanks buddy,
Tobi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

So the tobacco actually is Cuban? Seems strange that in the Kardus documentation it specifically says that Cuban tobacco isn't particularly good for snus.

With no offence intended to lwood, I'd be interested to hear what a seasoned snusing Swede (try saying that without putting your dentures in properly!) would make of it.
chewmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been using snus for about a year and a half.
Montecristo- Nice can, good smell and initial flavor. However, it became very sour in my mouth quickly and despite my efforts to like it, I couldn't. I also didn't like the short, fat, course bags. Maybe I am spoiled with white portion snus.
Overall, for me, thumbs down. I really thought that I would like this as I love snus and cigars.
Same goes for the Romeo and Juliet snus. Thumbs down. That one is too floral for my taste and sour.

What I use-
GrovSnus White Portion
mh34444

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

I'm working on a can of Montecristo right now. I have to agree with lwood that its best as an occasional snus. The flavor isnt as strong as some of my other favorite brands (Generaly Onyx, Lucky Strike, Goteborgs) but its appropriate for a nice change of routine. I tried dipping it at work where I'll keep a portion in for about an hour but Montecristo didnt make the grade and I popped in a portion of Lucky Strike instead.