Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Let's talk about spit

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nauris

Local time: 8:56 PM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Let's talk about spit

What do you do to hide your spitting when being in public? I don't mind spitting into whatever when I am on my own, but when in company I find it sometimes an annoying thing, but no way I can swallow that.
Or is there a good trick reducing spitting?
phetish

Local time: 7:56 PM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

i never really feel the need to spit. I tend to keep a drink near me all the time, so maybe that helps, but I never spit.

I wouldn't use snus if I had to keep a spit cup handy.

derek
bought but untasted: Mocca Mint, Catch Dry Licorice/Cassis Menthol, Metropol Lakritsrot, Revel
carotevi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about spit

Nauris wrote:
What do you do to hide your spitting when being in public? I don't mind spitting into whatever when I am on my own, but when in company I find it sometimes an annoying thing, but no way I can swallow that.

Snus is not "dip". Dip is put under the bottom lip. Snus is put under the top lip. If you put it under the bottom lip you may want to spit. Put it under the top lip and you wont need to spit.

Either way if you use true Snus you don't have to spit.

I grew up around dip and know about spitting but I now only use snus and never spit or feel the need. Also, with true snus the health worries about not spitting are not as bad.
moisty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, if you need to spit whilst using snus, then you are doing it wrong!! Wink
StarWing

Local time: 2:56 PM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about spit

Nauris wrote:

Sounds like to me that you are just starting to use Snus and/or, like carotevi states, putting it in the wrong place - as already mentioned, it goes under your upper lip (just a bit off center) - and/or, you are using Original (Dark) Pouches or Loose;

If you have recently just started using Snus, and are using Pouches, use the White Pouches (smokers and ex-smokers should start out on the mini white portions) - they are less drippy. After a couple of weeks or so, you should not have the 'spitting' problem, even if you are carrying a drink around and sipping on it; then you can try out the Original Portions and/or Loose and should not need to spit;

People are different, of course, as for me, I think I was spitting from the dark pouches about the first two weeks I used Snus, but I waited about a month before I purchased any more Original (Dark) pouches.

One can also try to swallow a little at a time so your stomach gets used to the juice - from the medical reports I read, the worst fear about doing that is just an upset stomach, which may only happen in the start.

Local time: 9:56 PM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about spit

StarWing wrote:
Nauris wrote:

Sounds like to me that you are just starting to use Snus ...

My thoughts exactly. happened to me too,.
K-Fine

Local time: 1:56 PM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

I have been chewing American snuff for most of my life on and off. Always put it in bottom lip and spit until the dip became less strong and more tolerable. A few years ago I tried Oliver Twist from Denmark and began putting in upper lip. I may be different from all you Euros but I find that if I put it in my upper lip I get a huge wad of rich tobacco spit very fast. I spit it out until it weakens. If I put snus in bottom lip this does not happen. I have read all the health issues with snus and from what I have gathered the biggest problems seem to arise from gastrointestinal issues, hence the swallowing of large amounts of tobacco. I do not mind spitting so I will keep doing it despite the fact that I am not using snus "correctly" if such a thing really exists. To each his own.
kb3edk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

I too am a converted American smokeless user and can't break the habit of putting snus in my lower lip. Usually with portions I am able to not spit, however loose snus is too much like the American "Copenhagen" smokeless tobacco and I can't help spitting. Especially since I can't stand the occasional odd granule of loose snus getting stuck in my throat... Confused
moisty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like you are putting the snus round too far into your cheek, the snus should go into the upper lip itself, near the middle. This is one of the problems I had when I first started, as I was a little worried about the thick lip! Wink