Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

does snus decrease your metabolism rate

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Snus FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tplrtnt

Local time: 9:21 PM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: does snus decrease your metabolism rate

hi,

i read somewhere that snus decreases your metabolism rate, and therefore, people are prone to gaining weight if they use snus. Is that true???
Craig de Tering

Local time: 11:21 PM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't sound very plausible to me.
The main thing that gets into the bloodstream is nicotine and that raises blood pressure by constricting blood vessels.
Don't think this has any influence on body weight on its own.
sockwars

Local time: 11:21 PM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Snus can make you fat - scientists

Published: 24th August 2006 18:04 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/4687/

Snus makes you fat, researchers in Umeå have shown. Snus, or Swedish moist snuff as it is known in English, was shown in a new study to contribute to obesity.

The study, by researchers from Umeå University, showed that heavy snus users had higher blood pressure and high cholesterol, and were more likely to be obese than people who did not use the oral tobacco. Heavy users were defined as people using the substance at least four times a week.

But snus was still less unhealthy than smoking tobacco, one of the scientists behind the study told The Local.

The findings were based on a study of 16,500 people in Västerbotten county, northern Sweden.

Factors including the subjects' education level, gender, age, level of physical activity and alcohol consumption were all taken into account. Yet even after allowances were made for these factors, the study showed that the snus users had a greater risk of so-called metabolic syndrome.

The research, published in the Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, noted that rapid shifts in lifestyle habits were occurring in northern Sweden. A substantial decrease in smoking, particularly among men, has been accompanied by increased use of snus, among both men and women.

But Margareta Norberg, one of the scientists behind the study, told The Local this did not mean that people should not use snus as a way of giving up smoking.

"That is not the conclusion that we have drawn, because cigarette smoking is even less healthy than using snus."

But, she said, "we should not consider snusing as a healthy habit."

"People should consider not using tobacco at all."

From The Local, a Swedish news site (thelocal.se)

CeilingCrash

Local time: 9:21 PM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject:

These results are bizarre and I don't believe them.

Firstly, it shows a correlation, not a causation. That is, there may be lots of fat snus users. But that does not imply snus made them fat. Among many possible explanations are : snus users may be more prone to oral gratification to begin with hence they eat more, the snus users could be former smokers who gained weight when they gave up cigarettes, etc etc - you can imagine a thousand ways this can occur where snus is not CAUSING the obesity. In fact, it is perfectly plausible that obese people are aware that nicotine inhibits weight gain and are using snus specifically to try to lose weight.

The study mentions "Factors including the subjects' education level, gender, age, level of physical activity and alcohol consumption were all taken into account" which leaves out the single most important factor for obesity - eating habits !!! One must compare snusers and non snusers with similar eating habits to determine snus's contribution to obesity.

But more to the point - nicotine is a central nervous system stimulant. It causes the release of adrenaline, which in turn raises heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, the burn rate of glucose, and so forth. You burn more calories. It is also an appetite suppressant (cigarettes were actually recommended to american women in the 1950's to lose weight!)

So nicotine in any form at all will tend to decrease obesity, not increase it.
StarWing

Local time: 4:21 PM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: does snus decrease your metabolism rate

tplrtnt wrote:
hi,

i read somewhere that snus decreases your metabolism rate, and therefore, people are prone to gaining weight if they use snus. Is that true???

According to studies (e.g. See www.smokersonly.org/), If they have quit a smoking habit, they (on an average) will only gain half the weight if they use smokeless tobacco as a smoking cessation product than many of those folks that don't;

But as for people whom initialize tobacco use via Snus, I just don't see how they would gain - I would assume if there is a change in weight, they would lose;

Nevertheless, just in case, I'll keep a better eye on my weight when I go to the Recreation Center. Idea

RESOURCE REFERENCED:
How Swedes Quit Smoking Without the Weight Gain
http://www.smokersonly.org/research/how_swedes_quit.html
Abstract:
smokers who quit by switching to Swedish smokeless tobacco (called snus, pronounced “snoos”) put on half the weight gained by those who quit tobacco altogether. In fact, switchers gained weight at the same rate as men who never smoked.